Friday, May 04, 2007

TfL still surveying about the congestion charge?

In our last post we mentioned that we think the way the Council is handling the traffic in Greenwich is dodgy. In our view it seems as if they are deliberately allowing ever worse traffic congestion in Greenwich in order to justify a congestion charge which they have been pushing for. At last week's Council meeting, the Deputy Leader, Peter Brooks, said that the results of TfL surveys of the area in relation to congestion charging were not available but would be in a month or so.

What Councillor Brooks didn't mention was that the reason the results are not available is because the surveying hasn't even been finished yet. TfL are still carrying it out. This means they are carrying out surveying on congestion in Greenwich whilst they and the Council have simultaneously allowed a congestion easing scheme to be shut down.

Engineering greater congestion and then surveying people and saying "do you think there is a problem with congestion?". We're willing to make a prediction. When the results come back we will be told that the people of Greenwich overwhelming want a congestion charge zone because traffic is so bad. As soon as that happens the decision about the tidal flow will be reconsidered.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Fred said...

Just a thought....will they blame The O2 for adding to the traffic issues? Maybe TfL will keep the survey going until after the first few concerts etc so concert goers combine with the existing chaos created when the tunnel closes at night for refurbishment so Greenwich ends up "needing" the congestion charge even more......

11:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to know which residents of Greenwich are being consulted and how?
I live and work within the proposed zone and so I have to walk past the horrendous jams 5 days aweek and I, for one have not been asked my opinion, neither via my residence or my workplace.
I will obviously be affected every time I wish to take my car out of the zone even to do my weekly shop at Sainsbury or Asda.

11:12 am  
Blogger sibonetic said...

I think this is also about Ken wanting more cash to put towards other River crossings, eg Thames Gateway Bridge and Silvertown link. If he can get £3.50 for every car going through Greenwich and the Blackwall Tunnel, he will be well on the way.
I actually like a lot of the things Ken has done, not a professional Ken hater, but his biggest weakness is that he can't stop spending other peoples money.

9:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are we going to hear if the accident rate has improved since the ending of the tidal flow?
Judging by the sirens that I hear in the mornings, I think not.

6:33 pm  
Blogger St Crispin said...

Surely doing a survey whilst half of Greenwich is being dug up to replace the water main is stupidity? The works need to be allowed to finish before normality resumes, and then that can be surveyed?!?

1:22 pm  
Blogger sibonetic said...

When you go to the Jam cams (operated by TfL), on www.bbc.co.uk the most recent images available are for last Thursday lunchtime (10th May), am writing this on the 17th May). So they obviously haven't got a clue about the mayhem they are causing, let alone care about it. Would seem difficult to survey something when you can't see what is happening.

7:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home