Sunday, July 09, 2006

The fate of the Co-op Building?

Last Wednesday, Inspector Sands mentioned that he kept hearing rumours that the old art deco Co-op Building in Woolwich was going to be pulled down as part of a wider plan to develop a new shopping centre. We'd not heard this rumour, so we decided to dig a little and see if it was true.

What we've been told is that as yet there are no active planning applications submitted relating to the Co-op Building. However, the freeholder, Powis Street Estates, is in the process of working with Wilson Bowden to bring about a mixed development of retail and residential units on that area of Woolwich. Given that the redevelopment of the Co-op Building would be included in that.

What does that actually mean? Well, we've also found out that flood damage remedial work and asbestos removal has been carried out in the building, which might suggest it's going to be restored in any redevelopment rather than pulled down. We'll have to watch and see.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jinny said...

At the hot air festival on the 1st July at the Arsenal, I saw plans that definitely involved the removal of the Co-Op building. The lady assured me that they were building a fabulous new landmark tower to replace it-- this was a round thing, shorter than the one there now by the look of it. The plans definitely showed it gone.

5:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having seen the devistation caused by previous Greenwich councils I will not hold my breath, ````i refer to such places as the old ferry approach, the empire, and the Red Barracks to mention a few.

6:54 pm  
Blogger Inspector Sands said...

Wasn't the old Woolwich ferry approach down to the old Woolwich council (or the London county council)?

Much as the present system and those who run it aren't exactly brilliant, I wouldn't blame them for the sins of previous generations...

1:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Inspector forgive me if I gave the impression that I was blaming the council for past offences, I was just trying to point out that the general trend did not appear to be one that put a lot of store on preserving historical parts of the borough. having lived all my life in this borough, and having an interest in its history I suppose I am predudice, and having seen some interesting old buildings with signs such as "ancient Lights" over the window being replaces with what are no better than square brick boxes I felt I should make my feelings clear, thankyou for your input and your interest.

7:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe this is what you are looking for? about a two thirds of the way down the page http://www.greenwich.gov.uk/Greenwich/YourEnvironment/PlanningAndBuilding/PlanningBuildingConservation/ApplicationsDecisionsAppeals/PlanningApplications/Week24.htm

7:29 pm  
Blogger greenwich.watch said...

That planning relates to 125-133 Powis Street and what is basically known as the "Hare Street Triangle". The Co-op Building is 136-152 Powis Street.

8:16 pm  
Blogger Jinny said...

I will protest unto chaining myself to the building if they do decide to knock it down. The council have hatched enough plans to decimate Woolwich; in a few years it will be unrecognisable. It's all to easy to say "Woolwich is a shithole anyway" but being neglected for so long means that we have cool old things untouched that should stay that way. This building is my line in the sand.

1:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home